The Cedar Falls Public Safety Department responded to a fire at an 18-plex apartment building at 3223 Scenic Drive in Cedar Falls at 10:48 p.m. on Wednesday, September 11, 2019.
14 public safety officers and firefighters immediately responded to the fire and crews kept the flames from spreading to the rest of the building.
The cause of the fire was an unattended pan on an oven in the apartment, which ignited the kitchen cabinets. The apartment building was evacuated. No residents were injured.
“The apartment where the fire started will be out of commission because of damage and possibly the apartments below due to smoke or water,” said Public Safety Director Jeff Olson. “However the rest of the residents should be able to return to their apartments.”
One Cedar Falls firefighter was examined by paramedics for possible smoke inhalation at the scene and then returned to work.
The Cedar Falls Public Safety Department does urge residents to always use care when cooking and never leave a pan unattended on an active stovetop.
“We had a great response from our public safety department. They were able to immediately contain the fire. We issued a callback as well and 13 additional public safety officers reported to help staff an extra fire truck and provide added support with police and fire duties at the Public Safety Building,” said Director Olson. “We want to thank our team for the work they do. We are very happy with the high response numbers we have in Cedar Falls. It is hugely beneficial for the safety of our community.”