With Island Park, Tourist Park, Sturgis Park and Gateway Park being totally engulfed and severely damaged by raging flood waters these past weeks, these parks will not be safe for the public to re-enter them for many weeks if not months.
Even more devastating was the property damage incurred by families and businesses north of the Cedar River. Hundreds of Cedar Falls residents have lost all of their personal possessions as well as their homes. Many have been forced to relocate in local motels and shelters with the help of FEMA, the Red Cross and other agencies. City services are working seven days a week to remove debris and restore order to the entire north side of the Cedar River. Many streets still remain impassable due to road damage and high water. The main focus of all City resources is to aid and assist in the recovery of this part of our community. Public safety is the number one goal.
Cedar Falls also is providing space in motels and other temporary housing for the tornado and flood victims of Parkersburg and New Hartford. Many emergency service centers have been set up at the University of Northern Iowa and other Cedar Falls locations also requiring City and University services. With the severe damage to numerous buildings at the University of Iowa, additional services may be required from UNI.
In cooperation with the City and University, the Sturgis Falls Celebration and the Cedar Basin Jazz Festival are being scaled down to allow City and University service personnel to concentrate their services on the devastated families affected by the 2008 floods and tornados.
The following activities requiring minimal City & University services are going forward and will remain unchanged unless otherwise noted:
1) All Overman Park Bandshell activities
2) All Kidsway activities
3) 28th Annual Parade
4) 14th Annual Children’s parade
5) 33rd Annual Street Fair
6) 2nd Annual Classic Car Show is being moved to the west Dome parking lot
7) 13th Annual Beach Party at the Falls Aquatic Center
8) Skyhoundz Local Championship (canine Frisbee)
9) 28th Annual Half Marathon (route varied), 5K Family Fun Walk/Run & Kids Fun Run
10) 24th Annual “Tour De Sturgis Falls Ride”
11) 31st Annual Lion’s Club Pancake Breakfast
12) Hearst Center for the Arts
13) Victorian Home and Carriage House Museum
14) George Wyth House and Viking Pump Museum
15) Ladies’ Golf Tournament at Beaver Hills
16) The Saints Dixieland Jazz Band from Cedar Falls and the New Red Onion Jazz Babies from Kansas City will be performing at Bourbon Street in downtown Cedar Falls and at the Cedar Falls Holiday Inn
17) Carnival if a location can be found
NOTE: The Saints Dixieland Jazz Band & the New Red Onion Jazz Babies are being added to the Overman Bandshell Stage Friday & Saturday with times to be determined.
The following events are cancelled:
1) Firefighter’s Dance
2) 50’s 60’s Dance
3) Tourist Park Entertainment
Enjoy an alcohol free & family friendly Sturgis Falls! There will be no alcohol or coolers allowed at any of the events.
Visit The Sturgis Falls Celebration and Cedar Basin Jazz Festival websites for more updated schedule information:
www.stugisfalls.org or E-mail Jay Stoddard @ firstname.lastname@example.org (319) 233-8431
www.cedarbasinjazz.org or E-mail Bob Seymour @ email@example.com (319) 268-5169
Our hearts and prayers go out to all of the flood and tornado victims!