Cedar Falls Recycling Center
The Recycling Drop Off Center is located next to the Transfer Station on the 1500 block of State Street.
Recycling center hours at the main site:
Monday through Friday
7 am–6 pm (Summer hours–April through October)
7 am–5 pm (Winter hours–November through March)
Saturday 8 am–3 pm
Items Accepted at the Recycling Center
All containers should be clean.
- Tin Cans
- Clear and Colored Glass
- Office Paper
- Plastics #1–7
- Plastic Grocery Bags
- Cooking oil without food residue is accepted only at the 15th Street site
- Phone Books (accepted May–August)
- Styrofoam is accepted only at the Main Recycling Site at 15th and State, Panther Parkway and Greenhill Village remote sites. Packing peanuts must be bagged.
Items accepted at the Transfer Station for a $10.00 fee:
- A/C units
- Water heaters
- Water Softeners
- Garbage disposals
- Computers $7.50 fee
- Televisions (console/box) $7.50 fee
- Tires: Car/Small Truck: $2.50 off rim, $5 on rim
Truck/Tractor: $6.50 off rim, $9 on rim
Electronic Waste Recycling
VCRs, stereos, DVD players, vacuums, fax machines, home phones, video game systems, handheld electronics, record players, hair dryers, curling irons, countertop appliances, lamps, treadmills, space heaters, holiday lights, cable/satellite equipment, fans and cables are all accepted at the recyling center on State Street. Most items with a cord are recyclable. Call 319-273-8629 with questions.
View Our Recycling Brochure
Household Recycling Remote Sites
- Panther Parkway on the UNI Campus
- Point West
- Fareway on Magnolia Drive
- Wind Grace Community off south Main Street
- Greenhill Village at 4507 Algonquin Drive
- Water Reclamation at 309 E 4th Street
- Orchard Hill Church at 3900 Orchard Hill Drive
All sites are operational 24 hours a day, except for the main site at 15th and State Street.
Unless otherwise noted, all items from the above list are accepted at the remote sites.
Items Not Accepted
- Oil Bottles
- Gas Cans
- Aerosol Cans
- Chemical Containers
- Wrapping Paper
Fluorescent Bulb Recycling
The City does not recycle fluorescent bulbs at this time.
Asphalt Shingle Recycling
The City of Cedar Falls now recycles asphalt shingles at the Transfer Station. Materials such as wood, tin flashing and other debris must be separated from the shingles. Allowable items include shingles, nails and felt paper. Brief documentation of the source location will also be required. Cost is $30.00 per ton.
Recycling for Special Events
Recycling equipment for special events is now available from the Black Hawk County Solid Waste Management education team, Waste Trac, at 1500 Bluff Street in Cedar Falls. Equipment is free to use. A refundable deposit and application are required. VIsit WasteTrac.org for more information.