Ice & Snow Control
About Ice & Snow Control
Ice and Snow Control is an emergency type operation and the work must be accomplished as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Annually, planning occurs prior to the arrival of the winter storm season. Pre-season preparation involves the re-evaluation of all aspects of the department’s ice and snow control activities.
Modifications are made as needed to fine turn the operations and maximize the department’s resources such as manpower, equipment and materials.
Cedar Falls Ice & Snow Control Services
- The Street Division of the Public Works Department is responsible for providing ice and snow control for over 200 miles of City streets and 10 City parking lots.
- The City does not guarantee that streets will be free of ice and snow after plowing.
- Bare dry pavement should not be expected.
- The City attempts to maintain adequate traction for vehicles properly equipped for winter driving conditions.
City streets are plowed according to these priorities:
- Priority I: All arterial streets—plowed and deiced first.
- Priority II: All collector streets—plowed and deiced upon completion of the Priority I streets.
- Other: All remaining residential streets are then plowed and abrasives are added at the controlled intersections.
Sand/Salt Barrel Locations
|CEDAR HEIGHTS DR||S.E. corner of Cedar Heights Dr. & Rainbow Drive. (1)|
|CORDOBA||Across from the Public Safety Building (1)|
|NORTH ELLEN ST.||N.W. corner of N. Ellen St. & W. 1st St. (1)
|PARKING LOT G ON COLLEGE HILL||Base of the step on upper level 9 (1)|
|SHIRLEY ST.||North dead end of street (near the radio station) (1)|
|STANLEY ST.||N.W. corner of Stanley St. & W. 1st St. (1)|
|W. 18TH ST.||N.E. corner of W. 18th St. & Hudson Rd. (1)|
Sand barrels are placed at the above locations and filled with a salt/sand mix. The barrels are typically placed in late October or early November. The barrels are checked and refilled as needed throughout the winter. The barrels are removed in the spring when it is determined they are no longer needed.