Posted on October 23, 2019 at 11:04 AM by Amanda Huisman
Cedar Falls trick or treat hours will be on Thursday, October 31, 2019, 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM.
Halloween is an exciting time for the whole family, but it is also important to stay safe when you and your little pumpkins are out and about. Cedar Falls Public Safety encourages you to follow these important tips this treat or trick season:
- Wear costumes that are bright and reflective. Also, make sure the costumes fit well to prevent tripping.
- Use Trick or Treat bags that have the ability to reflect light. Using reflective tape can assist in this.
- When shopping for costumes, wigs and accessories make sure that they clearly indicate they are flame resistant.
- Have Trick or Treaters use flashlights so they can be seen.
- Only Trick or Treat in areas that the child knows.
- Trick or Treaters should only cross streets at a crosswalk. Drivers must also be aware on Halloween to slow down and be prepared to stop.
- When carving pumpkins make sure parents are present to assist in this, or if the child is too young, the parent or adult should do the carving.
- Consider using a flashlight or glow stick, instead of a candle to light your pumpkin.
- Keeping your home safe it also important during Halloween. Homeowners should remove anything from your porch or front yard that could be a tripping hazard. Also, restrain pets so they cannot jump out or bite anyone.
Avoid unfamiliar neighborhoods and ensure that you and your child obey all crosswalk signals and signs. An adult should always accompany young children during trick or treating. Teach your child to never enter a stranger's home or car and instruct them not to eat any treats before you return home.
Children and adults are both reminded to put electronic devices away while walking and stay alert for drivers while crossing the street. Drivers should also make sure to put their electronic devices away while driving and enter and exit driveways and alleyways carefully.
Have a safe and happy Halloween!