During the Cedar Falls City Council meeting on January 6, 2020, the council voted to appoint an individual to the vacant At-Large position. The appointment nominations will begin during the City Council meeting on January 20, 2020.
Candidate nominations for the appointment are (listed alphabetically):
- Coil, Joyce
- Didier, Nate
- Frein, Thomas
- Hagarty, Thomas P.
- Popp, Penelope (Penny)
- Rider, Sr., Paul Edward
- Saul, LeaAnn
- Sharp, Rick
- Sims, Susan
- Smith, Whitney J.
- Taiber, Nick
- Thulstrup, Neils Jorgen
The procedure of the council meeting on January 20, 2020, is as follows:
- Cedar Falls Mayor Rob Green will introduce the council agenda item
- Mayor Green will allow each city council candidate the opportunity to speak for up to three minutes
- Candidates will be listed alphabetically, by last name, on the council agenda
- The speaking order for the candidates will be randomly selected by the mayor during the council meeting
- Once all of the council candidates have finished speaking, the mayor will allow members of the public the opportunity to speak for up to three minutes each
- Mayor Green will then close the public forum and the item will be brought back for city council discussion
- After discussion, council members can make a motion for any of the listed candidates to be appointed
- Once a second motion is received, council will vote on the candidate
- A majority vote will decide the final appointment
The effective start date for the new At-Large council member will begin as soon as the person is sworn into office. This will occur within 48 hours of the appointment, but no earlier than 24 hours from the appointment. If you have any questions regarding the process, please contact Ron Gaines, Cedar Falls City Administrator, at (319) 268-5171.