Trick-or-treat hours in Cedar Falls will take place on October 31, 2021, from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Cedar Falls Public Safety reminds the community to stay safe this Halloween with these tips:
- Wear costumes that are bright and reflective. Make sure the costumes fit well to prevent tripping.
- Use trick-or-treat bags that have the ability to reflect light. Reflective tape can assist in this.
- When shopping for costumes, wigs, and accessories, make sure that they clearly indicate they are flame resistant.
- Have trick-or-treaters use flashlights so they can be seen.
- Only trick-or-treat in areas that the child knows.
- Trick-or-treaters should only cross streets at a crosswalk. Drivers must also be aware on Halloween to slow down and be prepared to stop.
- When carving pumpkins make sure adults are present to assist or, if the child is too young, the adult should do the carving.
- Instead of a candle, use a flashlight or glow stick to light your pumpkin.
- Keeping your home safe is also important during Halloween. Homeowners should remove anything from the porch or front yard that could be a tripping hazard. Also, restrain pets so they cannot jump out or bite anyone.
Avoid unfamiliar neighborhoods and ensure that you and your child obey all crosswalk signals and signs. An adult should always accompany young children during trick-or-treating. Teach your child to never enter a stranger's home or car and instruct them not to eat any treats before you return home.
Children and adults are both reminded to put electronic devices away while walking and stay alert for drivers while crossing the street. Drivers should also make sure to put their electronic devices away while driving and enter and exit driveways and alleyways carefully.